Social media blows up at the beginning of each school year as thousands of "first day" of school pictures are uploaded and shared. First day activities often include "I like . . ." writing/drawing activities which are often in booklet form. In 21st century classrooms these first day activities have evolved to creating simple ePub books or presentations (PowerPoint, Google Slides or Keynote presentations).
TVI Andrea Bilello uses the Book Creator app on the iPad to make books with alt text, large print, and images for her preschooler, Addyson. Andrea uses Airdrop (or emails) the book to Addyson's iPad and Addyson can add audio recordings of her reading/reciting the text on each page. These books are then sent home for Addyson to 'read' with her family.
Andrea shares that Addyson prefers audio buttons with recordings over synthesized speech while she has a third grader who prefers reading the books using the Book Creator app to hear the text and alt text; this student does not use the audio buttons anymore. She creates each book according to the student's individual preference.
See other ePub books by Andrea for Addyson:
- Shenandoah National Park Vacation: Experience Book
- Emerging Reader Books: Instruments and Drums post
- Digital Books for Beginning Readers post (Things That Go epub)
- Using Technology to Support a Dual Media Learner (At the Zoo epub)
- Book Library on Paths to Technology (numerous teacher-created books for emerging and beginner readers)