"Blindsided by a new generation of blazing-fast cars, the legendary Lightening McQueen finds himself pushed out of the sport thathe loves. Hoping to get back in the game, he turns to Cruz Ramirez, an eager young technician who has her own plans for winning. With inspiration from the Fabulous Hudson Hornet and a few unexpected turns, No. 95 prepares to compete on Piston Cup Racing's biggest stage." - description of Disney's Cars 3 movie, released June 16, 2017.
The video clip below is a trailer for the Cars 3 movie.
Cars is a popular movie series for kids of all ages. A new movie tech launched with the release of Cars 3 that enables viewers who are visually or hearing impaired to fully enjoy this popular movie. The Actiview app is a mobile solution that provides audio description, amplified audio and closed captioning. The initial Cars 3 release does not have full subtitles or ASL (as Pixar has not provided them yet) but is expected to include these features in the future. Audio descriptions describe what is happening on the screen for viewers who are visually impaired. Amplified audio makes the diaglogue clearer and louder for hard of hearing viewers. Closed captioning provides printed text for viewers who are deaf. The app is free and these assistive services are free - viewers do not need to rely on theatres to provide equipment!
How to use Actiview
- Download the Actiview App from the App Store.
- Download over Wi-Fi the desired assistive tracks before going to the theater to save on data usage.
- Go to the movie theatre with your iPhone or iPad and headphones.
- Open the Actiview app, select either Audio Description, Amplified Audio or both tracks combined.
Note: First time you use Actiview, there is a 30-second tutorial helping the user to understand how to navigate the app. Users are required to use headphones.
Please provide actiview feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org or (844) 399-2789.
For more information about Actiview
- Lighthouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired post, New Movie Tech for the Blind and Deaf, Actiview, Launches with Disney's Cars 3
- TechCrunch post, Actiview Aims to Streamline Movie Accessibility for Millions of Hearing and Vision Impaired
Cars 3 Activities
High-Speed Tech: Engineering, Math and Science make a car go! Scholastic provides activities for grades 3 - 6 complete with teacher's guide and standards chart. Activities include:
- Next Gen Racers
- Graphing Victory
- Friction Fighters
- Powerful Personalities
- Potential Energy
- Kinetic Energy
- Family Activities
For details about these activities, go to Scholastic Cars 3 activities.