As TVIs, we tend to download and try various apps in hopes of finding one that fits our student’s needs in a more precise and pointed way. I have been using the Read2Go app (by Bookshare) with my students for well over 2 years now. I have found that it offers the best solution for consolidation of digital books for leisure and academic reading. I do appreciate the fact that the Read2Go app considers the needs of their visually impaired users. The app allows students to navigate digital books using Voiceover or the built in Audio Voice feature, as well as enlarged or color coded settings.
When working with Visually Impaired students, it would be helpful to teach the skill of utilizing the Read2Go app in a systematic way. For example, the checklist below (adapted from the Bookshare information guide) is based on the functions and layout of the Read2Go app.
The contents of the Read2Go checklist can also be used to determine areas of need for students during pre-assessment. This information will give you a glimpse of what your student’s strengths and weaknesses are as they relate to use of this app. Goals and objectives can then be drafted based on the outcome of the checklist.
IEP Goals and Objectives
Student will download digital books using the Read2Go app (Bookshare).
- Student will search for a book on the Read2Go app by TITLE with 80% accuracy.
- Student will search for a book on the Read2Go app by Author with 80% accuracy.
- Student will search for a book on the Read2Go app by ISBN with 80% accuracy.
Once students get a good grasp on using the Read2Go app, teachers can begin to incorporate the use of listening skills as well as reading strategies to ensure their student gleans the most benefit from using digital books.
The following link directs you to TSBVI's goals and objectives that can be tweaked to fit the needs of the student utilizing Read2Go.
Under the Listening Skills and Listening Skills #2 section, the goals and objectives can be tweaked to say:
The student will be able to develop meaning from a lengthy passage using skills already learned.
- [student] will identify purpose of listening and respond to specific questions
- [student] will attend to audio book reader and select the information required
- [student] will respond to specific questions pertaining to information given
- [student] will select items of information which are pertinent and respond
- [student] will determine motives behind the actions of the speaker and respond
- [student] will be able to follow the development of ideas and then settle on the main premise of what was heard
- [student] will be able to assess what is heard against personal experience and select what is pertinent and/or relevant
The student will demonstrate listening skills in ___ out of ____ situations/sessions.
- Attend to a story read using the read2Go audio voice or Voiceover
- Recall ____ details from a listening experience
- Sequence _____ events from a listening experience
- Identify main idea from a listening experience
- Summarize a story read by the Read2Go audio Voice or Voiceover
The student will independently utilize audio textbooks to complete class assignments ____ out of ____ times.
- Operate all controls using audio features of Read2Go
- Locate requested page number using Navigation features
- Take notes from audio textbooks
Feel free to download the Read2Go app and use it with your students. Let us know of any other items that you added to the checklist!